28 July 2018

28 Julho 1988

I thought I was over all the crying until I realized that today was the one month anniversary of my leaving Brazil.  One month isn't long but it felt like an eternity.

Eu pensei que tinha acabado de chorar até que percebi que hoje era o aniversário de um mês da minha saída do Brasil. Um mês não é longo, mas pareceu uma eternidade.

During this month I had been to Ohio (where my sister was living at the time) and while there I had reconnected with Chandra, who had been an exchange student to my district in Brazil.  30 years ago we weren't great friends, and 30 years later we never kept in touch - but at the time we both agreed getting together was nice because it confirmed that Brazil had been a real experience for both of us.

Durante esse mês estive em Ohio (onde minha irmã morava na época) e lá me reuni com o Chandra, que havia sido um intercambista do meu distrito no Brasil. Há 30 anos não éramos grandes amigos e, 30 anos depois, nunca mantivemos contato - mas, na época, ambos concordaram em visitar um ao outro foi bom porque confirmou que o Brasil tinha sido uma experiência real para nós dois.

My dreams were returning to English.                       Meus sonhos estavam voltando para o inglês.

Two years later I would get married on this day.  Five years later my son would be born on this day.
Never again did I remember it as the "x" year and 1 month anniversary of my leaving.

Dois anos depois eu me casaria neste dia. Cinco anos depois, meu filho nasceria nesse dia.Nunca mais me lembrei disso como o aniversário de um mês e "x" anos de minha partida.

No comments:

Post a Comment