21 March 2018

21 Marzo 1988

As a grown up I can recognize that I've never been good about living in the moment.  You would think a mother of three would know how to be spontaneous.  You would think someone who has traveled could be flexible.  You would think someone who left home to live in a foreign land at the age of 17 knew how to seize the day.  To the contrary - I am a planner.  I often find myself in one planned moment not enjoying it fully because I'm already thinking about what comes next.  What's next on the to do list.  What time does the next scheduled item occur.

Como um adulto, posso reconhecer que nunca fui bom em viver no momento. Você pensaria que uma mãe de três saberia ser espontânea. Você pensaria que alguém que viajou poderia ser flexível. Você pensaria que alguém que saiu de casa para viver em uma terra estrangeira aos 17 anos sabia como aproveitar o dia. Pelo contrário - eu sou uma planejadora. Muitas vezes me encontro em um momento planejado, não aproveitando totalmente porque já estou pensando no que vem depois. Qual é o próximo na lista de tarefas. A que horas ocorre o próximo item agendado.

In March of 1988 I still had two or three months of time to enjoy in Brazil.  But it is obvious from reviewing my journal that I was already feeling with desperation the end of the time and the return to life in the U.S.  I took more risks than I normally would have, was a bit needier, more pushy, probably rather selfish or self-centered.  I wasted a lot of time (mine and that of other people) chasing after experiences that never happened.  I wonder what experiences I missed while I was out chasing other things.

Em março de 1988, eu ainda tinha dois ou três meses de tempo para desfrutar no Brasil. Mas é óbvio, ao analisar o meu diário, que eu já sentia com desespero o fim do tempo e o retorno à vida nos EUA Eu assumi mais riscos do que eu normalmente teria, era um pouco mais complicada, mais agressiva, provavelmente bastante egoísta ou egocêntrica. Perdi muito tempo (o meu e o de outras pessoas) buscando experiências que nunca aconteceram. Pergunto-me o que experiências perdi enquanto procurava outras coisas.

No comments:

Post a Comment