22 April 2018

22 Abril 1988

I found Rio to be much calmer than I expected with less people, crowds and traffic.  After a couple of days I felt comfortable there and confident that I knew my way around.  Several years later when I returned (1993 and 2001) it felt just as comfortable.  I never did figure out what was so stupendous about the beaches that I'd heard about all my life but in the end turned out to look like any other beach.  In my youth I thought maybe one day I'd work in the embassy in Rio.

Eu achei o Rio muito mais calmo do que eu esperava com menos gente, multidões e trânsito. Depois de alguns dias, me senti confortável e confiante de que poderia navegar pela cidade. Vários anos depois, quando voltei (1993 e 2001), senti-me igualmente confortável. Eu nunca entendi o que era tão estupendo sobre as praias que eu tinha ouvido falar toda a minha vida, mas no final acabou por se parecer com qualquer outra praia. Na minha juventude, pensei que talvez um dia trabalharia na embaixada do Rio.

From Rio I went to a Rotary conference in Aguas de Sao Pedro, Brazil.  There were eight other exchange students from Canada and the U.S. in addition to several men from Arizona who were here as the reciprocal of my Pai's visit to the U.S.

Do Rio fui a uma conferência do Rotary em Águas de São Pedro, Brasil. Havia oito outros intercambistas do Canadá e dos EUA, além de vários homens do Arizona que estavam aqui como recíprocos da visita de meu pai aos EUA.

When talking with the other American students we'd get a lot of laughs on our own mixed up English like saying "I have 18 years" instead of "I'm 18 years old" or pronouncing "guard" like "gward".  We'd often switch to Portuguese in the middle of speaking English to each other without even realizing the switch.

Quando conversávamos com os outros estudantes americanos, ríamos muito de nosso próprio inglês confuso, como dizer "eu tenho 18 anos", em vez de "tenho 18 anos", ou pronunciava "guarda" como "gward". Nós sempre mudávamos para o português no meio de falar inglês um com o outro, mesmo sem perceber a mudança.

I'm really not sure why we were there and my journal indicates that I did more beer drinking and partying (including trashed hotel rooms) this weekend, under the noses of Roatarians, sometimes literally, than I did the whole year.

Eu realmente não estou certo porque nós estávamos lá e meu diário indica que eu gastei mais tempo bebendo cerveja e festejando (incluindo quartos de hotel destruídos) este fim de semana, debaixo do nariz de Roatarians, às vezes literalmente, que eu fiz o ano inteiro.

The last morning, which came early after partying until 6:30 a.m., we had a quick picture and made speeches.  I felt bad that I forgot to thank my host families, especially when two out of three of my families were in attendance.

Na última manhã, que chegou cedo depois da festa até as 6h30 da manhã, tivemos uma foto rápida e fizemos discursos. Eu me senti mal por ter esquecido de agradecer às minhas famílias anfitriãs, especialmente quando duas de três das minhas famílias estavam presentes.

No comments:

Post a Comment