06 April 2018

6 Abril 1988

A while ago a Rotarian suggested that I tour the Brahma beer factory which was on the edge of town.  Today was the day!         Um tempo atrás, um rotariano sugeriu que eu visitasse a fábrica de cerveja Brahma, que ficava na periferia da cidade. Hoje foi o dia!

Me and 14 of my friends all got on a Greyhound-type bus and rode outside of town.  In Brazil these buses would make unscheduled stops if you asked so it was no problem to get off at the factory.  The bus was standing room only.  I still remember that it was while standing on this bus that the joke began that I was actually not American.  Chico quipped that on the bottom of my foot was a stamp that said "Made in Paraguay" and would jokingly call me Paraguayan for the remainder of my time in Brazil.  Never mind that Paraguay seemed an inferior country - I saw this as a tremendous compliment signifying that I had overcome enough of my American ways so that I now blended in.

Eu e 14 dos meus amigos todos pegamos um ônibus do tipo Greyhound e saímos da cidade. No Brasil, esses ônibus faziam paradas não programadas se você perguntasse e foi assim que chegamos à fábrica. O ônibus tinha tantas pessoas que só podíamos ficar no corredor. Ainda me lembro de que, enquanto estava de pé naquele ônibus, a piada começava que eu não era americano. Chico brincou que no fundo do meu pé estava um selo que dizia "Feito em Paraguai" e que, brincando, me chamar de Paraguaia para o resto do meu tempo no Brasil. Não importa que o Paraguai parecesse um país inferior - eu vi isso como um tremendo elogio significando que eu tinha superado o suficiente dos meus modos americanos para que agora eu me misturasse.



The tour was interesting but I couldn't hear very well so I missed a lot of it.  I was particularly impressed with the bottling and exports.  They claimed to export two types of beer and also Guarana (soda) to the U.S.  While it's very possible San Antonio is just not the right market - I have been on the lookout for Brahama beer for the last thirty years and never seen it in the U.S. - not even in the Brazilian steakhouses.  Of course, I get that American's don't drink the same beer they drank thirty years ago either.  But even when I first came back I never found it.  Guarana I have seen at specialty grocery stores and the restaurants.

O passeio foi interessante, mas eu não podia ouvir muito bem, então eu perdi muito. Fiquei particularmente impressionada com o engarrafamento e as exportações. Eles alegaram exportar dois tipos de cerveja e também o Guaraná (refrigerante) para os EUA. Embora seja muito possível, San Antonio não é o mercado certo - eu tenho procurado a cerveja Brahama nos últimos trinta anos e nunca a vi no mercado EUA - nem mesmo nas churrascarias brasileiras. Claro, eu entendo que os americanos não bebem a mesma cerveja que beberam trinta anos atrás também. Mas mesmo quando voltei, nunca encontrei. Guarana eu tenho visto em lojas especializadas e os restaurantes.

After the tour we were given snacks and drinks in a large room where we had a lot of laughs.                                                                                              Após o passeio nos ofereceram salgadinhos e bebidas em uma grande sala onde tivemos muitas risadas.

For the ride home we went out to the highway to wait for a bus to come by.  Instead of a bus we ended up hitchhiking on a big truck.  In my memory the tires on this truck were taller than I was.  It seemed that all my friends scrambled right up and over the sides but I was never good at climbing.  I managed to get onto the wheel but couldn't get from the wheel to the side railings.  Some guy I didn't know was trying to help me but not succeeding.  Then Gil, my "namesake", came over and pulled me in at the last second, just as the wheel started to turn.  I've always felt that I almost died that day.  I truly believe that one second later would have resulted in my falling under the wheel and being crushed to death.  Quite possibly without anyone realizing it until they got to their destination.  In my memory I always gave credit to someone else for saving my life, but now that I reread the journal I'm glad to give credit where credit is deserved.

Para o passeio para casa nós saímos para a rodovia para esperar por um ônibus. Em vez de um ônibus nós acabamos pedindo carona em um caminhão grande. Na minha memória, os pneus deste caminhão eram mais altos do que eu. Parecia que todos os meus amigos subiram sem problemas, mas eu nunca fui bom em escalar. Consegui entrar no volante, mas não consegui passar da roda para as grades laterais. Um cara que eu não conhecia estava tentando me ajudar, mas não conseguindo. Então Gil, meu "homônimo", veio e me puxou no último segundo, assim que a roda começou a girar. Eu sempre senti que quase morri naquele dia. Eu realmente acredito que um segundo depois teria resultado em minha queda sob o volante e ser esmagado até a morte. Muito possivelmente sem que ninguém percebesse até chegar ao destino. Em minha memória sempre dei crédito a outra pessoa por salvar minha vida, mas agora que reli o diário fico feliz em dar crédito onde o crédito é merecido. Obrigada, Gil!

I remember just sitting next to my hero, in shocked silence, for quite a while.  I did not verbalize to anyone how closely I felt I had come to dying.  Everyone around me was festive and enjoying life.                                 Lembro-me apenas sentado ao lado de meu herói, em silêncio chocada, por um bom tempo. Eu não verbalizei a ninguém o quanto me sentia próximo de ter morrido. Todos à minha volta eram festivos e curtiam a vida.

As hitchhiking goes, that truck only took us half the way and we had to get on another truck for the rest of the journey.  I'm not sure how I managed the second time.  But I did note that on the side where Gil and I were sitting, the railing was loose.  I felt like we were both saying prayers the whole ride, especially around a circular connector ramp.

Enquanto pegam carona, aquele caminhão só nos levou pela metade e tivemos que pegar outro caminhão pelo resto da jornada. Não sei como consegui a segunda vez. Mas notei que do lado onde Gil e eu estávamos sentados, o parapeito estava solto. Eu senti como se estivéssemos dizendo orações todo o passeio, especialmente em torno de uma rampa de conexão circular.




No comments:

Post a Comment