03 April 2018

3 Abril 1988 - Easter / Pascua

The whole family went to Tio Bela's for lunch.  It seemed more like Thanksgiving with all the food and people.                        Toda a família foi à casa de Tio Bela para o almoço. Parecia mais como Ação de Graças com toda a comida e pessoas.

I received three Easter eggs (from Mom, Grandma, and the Quevedos).  The eggs here are different.  They're better chocolate than the bunnies that are popular in the U.S.  Inside the eggs are hollow and you find individually wrapped chocolates.  The bigger the number the bigger the egg so kids can tell their friends, "I got a 3" and the other kid can say, "Well, I got a 5".

Eu recebi três ovos de Páscoa (da mamãe, vovó e os Quevedos). Os ovos aqui são diferentes. Eles são melhores de chocolate do que os coelhos populares nos EUA. Por dentro, os ovos são ocos e você encontra chocolates embalados individualmente. Quanto maior o número, maior o ovo para que as crianças possam contar aos seus amigos: "Eu tenho um 3 e o outro garoto pode dizer:" Bem, eu tenho um 5 ".

Brazilians didn't know the Easter Bunny and they don't dye eggs.
Os brasileiros não conheciam o Coelhinho da Páscoa e não pintam ovos.

My family went to church four times this week but I never went.  My Dad said I should go because the pastor prays more eloquently than I could.  But I felt like I'd rather do my own talking and understand it than have someone say I don't know what but eloquently.  I didn't imagine God cared as much about eloquence as He did about communication.  Church just seemed unreachable because I couldn't understand it so it was hard to participate and my mind would wander to things I probably shouldn't have been thinking about in church (boys).  Thirty years later I still believe prayer should be sincere and individual.  I go to church regularly (a Catholic one) and I'm a little more comfortable with other people praying for me but I draw the line at the prayers where the people copy whatever the speaker says.  I feel like the words coming out of my mouth must be sincere and if I don't know where they are going to wind up, I don't want to say it.  I do say group prayers like The Lord's Prayer because I know that and already know I agree with it all.

Minha família foi à igreja quatro vezes esta semana, mas eu nunca fui. Meu pai disse que eu deveria ir porque o pastor ora mais eloquentemente do que eu. Mas eu senti que preferiria fazer a minha própria conversa e entendê-la do que alguém dizer que eu não sei o que, mas eloqüentemente. Eu não imaginei que Deus se importasse tanto com a eloqüência quanto com a comunicação. A igreja parecia inacessível porque eu não conseguia entender, então era difícil participar e minha mente vagava por coisas que eu provavelmente não deveria estar pensando na igreja (meninos). Trinta anos depois, ainda acredito que a oração deve ser sincera e individual. Eu vou à igreja regularmente (uma católica) e estou um pouco mais confortável com outras pessoas orando por mim, mas eu não gosto das orações onde as pessoas copiam o que o orador disser. Eu sinto que as palavras que saem da minha boca devem ser sinceras e se eu não sei onde elas vão acabar, eu não quero dizer isso. Eu digo orações em grupo como Oração do Senhor porque sei disso e já sei que concordo com tudo isso.

No comments:

Post a Comment