10 November 2017

10 Novembro 1987

I'd always wanted a brother and now that I had one, I wasn't sure I wanted a brother anymore.  30 years later I still remember how Zezinho would come home and kiss all three of his sisters and then punch me.  I also remember asking my mom why he did that and she explained that, essentially, he was conflicted about how to feel about me.  30 years later I can see that in an exchange situation, most of the focus is on the foreign student and how they are adjusting - people rarely think about how the family is adjusting to a foreigner in their house.  Poor guy, I'm sure the last thing he wanted was ANOTHER sister when he already had three.

Eu sempre quis um irmão e agora que eu tinha um, não estava seguro de querer mais um irmão. 30 anos depois, ainda me lembro de como Zezinho voltaria para casa e beijaria as três irmãs e depois me punhava. Eu também me lembro de perguntar a minha mãe por que ele fez isso e ela explicou que, essencialmente, ele estava em conflito sobre como se sentir sobre mim. 30 anos depois, posso ver que em uma situação de intercâmbio, a maior parte do foco é sobre o estudante estrangeiro e como eles estão se ajustando - as pessoas raramente pensam sobre como a família está se ajustando a um estrangeiro em sua casa. Pobre cara, a última coisa que ele provavelmente queria era outra irmã quando ele já tinha três.

Throughout the year I would have many memorable verbal misunderstandings that became quite comical.  One of the funniest, that still makes me chuckle 30 years later, was when my dad was studying English in the living room, while the whole family watched television, and he turned to me and asked, "What is lust?".  That threw me into a fit of hysterical laughter, mainly because I couldn't figure out how to answer that question in an appropriate manner.  Finally he clarified, "Lust, L - O - S - T." 

Durante o ano, eu teria muitos mal-entendidos verbais memoráveis que se tornaram bastante cômicos. Um dos mais engraçados, que ainda me faz rir 30 anos depois, foi quando meu pai estudava inglês na sala de estar, enquanto toda a família assistia televisão e ele se virou para mim e perguntou: "O que é luxúria?". Isso me lançou em um ataque de risada histérica, principalmente porque não consegui descobrir como responder a essa pergunta de maneira apropriada. Finalmente, ele esclareceu: "Lust, L - O - S - T." (perdido)

No comments:

Post a Comment