26 November 2017

26 Novembro 1987

Thanksgiving day.  I never thought it meant that much to me but I missed waking up to the smell of turkey and eating pumpkin pie.  It seemed weird that these people who are so tuned into the U.S. didn't even seem to know about our holiday.  I cooked quiche, macaroni & cheese and chocolate chip cookies.  Later in the afternoon we heard fireworks and there was some kind of dinky little parade on TV.  I asked why and they said for the Day of St. Thanks.  I also saw "A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving" on TV.  Even though I didn't like them forgetting about the day I also felt weird when I saw them celebrating it.  It's our holiday, not theirs, why can't they just put a little blip on the news or something instead of trying to have everything we have.

Dia de ação de graças. Nunca pensei que isso significasse tanto para mim, mas eu senti falta de acordar com o cheiro de peru e comer torta de abóbora. Parecia estranho que essas pessoas que estão tão sintonizadas nos EUA não pareciam saber sobre nossas férias. Eu cozinhei quiche, macarrão e queijo e biscoitos de chocolate. No final da tarde, ouvimos fogos de artifício e houve algum tipo de pequeno desfile na TV. Perguntei por que e eles disseram para o Dia de São Obrigado. Eu também vi "A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving" na TV. Mesmo que eu não gostava deles esquecer o dia em que eu também senti estranho quando os vi comemorando. São as nossas férias, não as suas, porque não podem simplesmente mexer com as notícias ou algo em vez de tentar ter tudo o que temos.

I thought back to what I had done last year at home for Thanksgiving.  I had gone to KJ's house, after lunch, and we watched "Pretty In Pink".  Tonight Teru brought a film for us to watch and ironically enough it was "A Garota em Rosa-Shocking".

Lembrei-me de que eu tinha feito no ano passado nos Estados Unidos de Ação de Graças. Eu tinha ido para a casa de KJ, depois do almoço, e nós assistimos "Pretty In Pink". Esta noite Teru trouxe um filme para nós assistir e, ironicamente, era "A Garota em Rosa-Shocking".

I keep thinking that the word "mais" is also an English word.  Saying, "Do you want mais?" sounds right to me.

Eu continuo pensando que a palavra "mais" também é uma palavra em inglês. Dizendo: "Do you want mais?" parece certo para mim.

No comments:

Post a Comment