02 November 2017

2 Novembro 1987

One thing that really touches me about Brazil is how helpful people are towards the less fortunate.  Like when I was in Sao Paulo I saw a poor man with only one leg giving money to a blind beggar.  30 years later I remember discussing it with Nilvinha.  I remember asking her when she gave money to beggars how she knew they would use it for good.  I'm not 100% certain of the answer but for a long time I've had the philosophy that I am called to give the help.  If they abuse the help that is not my fault.  I did my part and was obedient to God in the giving.  I feel like that philosophy came from Nilvinha.

Uma coisa que realmente me toca sobre o Brasil é como as pessoas são generosas para os menos afortunados. Como quando eu estava em São Paulo, vi um pobre homem com apenas uma perna dando dinheiro a um mendigo cego. 30 anos depois lembro-me de falar com Nilvinha. Lembro-me de perguntar a ela quando ela deu dinheiro aos mendigos como ela sabia que eles iriam usá-lo para o bem. Eu não estou 100% certo da resposta, mas por muitos anos tive a filosofia de que fui chamado a dar a ajuda. Se eles abusarem da ajuda que não é minha culpa. Fiz a minha parte e fui obediente a Deus na dádiva. Sinto que essa filosofia veio da Nilvinha.

Mr. Graybill (a man from my church at home) came to Brazil for a medical conference and called to check on me.  He was really sweet and asked all sorts of questions to make sure I was doing okay.  He also gave me a $20 phone credit to use.  30 years later I am still so touched by his taking time out to check on me.

O Sr. Graybill (um homem da minha igreja em San Antonio) veio ao Brasil para uma conferência médica e ligou para ver como eu estava. Ele era realmente atencioso e fez todo tipo de perguntas para ter certeza de que estava bem. Ele também me deu um crédito de $ 20 para usar. 30 anos depois, ainda estou impressionada por estar preocupado comigo.

No comments:

Post a Comment