21 February 2018

21 Fevereiro 1988

The more I thought about church the more it confused me (as young adults can often get about church).
Quanto mais eu pensei sobre a igreja, mais me confundiu (como adultos jovens geralmente podem sentir sobre a igreja).

I understood very little of the Catholic church services.  I think they were in formal Portuguese or maybe Latin.  So I didn't say the prayers unless I knew what I was saying and it was something Methodists believed in.  

Compreendi muito pouco dos serviços da igreja católica. Eu acho que eles estavam em português formal ou talvez em latim. Então eu não disse as orações a menos que eu soubesse o que eu estava dizendo e era algo em que os Metodistas acreditavam.

But then I wondered if I shouldn't recite everything - even if I didn't understand it because church is church - how bad can it be?
Mas então eu me perguntei se eu não deveria recitar tudo - mesmo que eu não entendesse porque a igreja é igreja - o quão ruim pode ser?

Then I thought if church is church, why do we have so many different ones?  What if I say something I don't believe in?  Believing or not it might come out insincerely since I wouldn't even know what I was saying.  I also didn't believe in crossing oneself, raising hands while praying or that you had to kneel to pray.  (30 years later, after studying Catholicism, I understand the crossing is meant to remind you of your baptism so I get it.)

Então pensei que se igreja é igreja, por que temos tantos outros? E se eu disser algo em que não acredito? Acreditando ou não, isso pode acontecer de forma insincerada, já que eu nem sabia o que estava dizendo. Eu também não acreditei em cruzar-me, levantando as mãos enquanto rezava ou que tinha que se ajoelhar para rezar. (30 anos depois, depois de estudar o catolicismo, eu entendo que o cruzamento é para lembrá-lo do seu batismo, então eu entendo isso.)

No comments:

Post a Comment