23 February 2018

23 Fevereiro 1988

Suzi and I went to Chico's house to watch movies with a bunch of people.
There was a funny moment when Andre asked me if I remembered the first time I went there.  I said, "Yeah, kind of, were you here too?" which everyone thought was pretty funny.  Indeed he was and he remembered that hardly anyone could understand me so he had spent that whole time trying to remember something to say to me in English.  When I got up to leave he said, "good-bye" and I responded in Portuguese "Tchau".

Suzi e eu fomos à casa do Chico para assistir filmes com um grupo de pessoas.Houve um momento divertido quando Andre me perguntou se eu me lembrei da primeira vez que fui lá. Eu disse: "Sim, mais ou menos, você também estava aqui?" que todos achavam muito engraçado. Na verdade, ele era e ele lembrou que quase ninguém poderia me entender, então ele passou esse tempo inteiro tentando lembrar de algo para me dizer em inglês. Quando me levantei para sair, ele disse "good-bye" e respondi em português "Tchau".

That seemed to be a recurring theme of late - people commenting that when I first arrived they couldn't understand me but now they could.  I was also noting that "the question" had changed.  Instead of people asking me how long I'd been in Brazil, now they were asking how much longer I had left.

Isso parecia ser um tema recorrente ultimamente - as pessoas comentando que, quando cheguei pela primeira vez, não conseguiram me entender, mas agora podiam. Eu também estava observando que "a questão" havia mudado. Em vez de pessoas me perguntando quanto tempo eu estava no Brasil, agora eles estavam perguntando quanto tempo eu ainda restava.

No comments:

Post a Comment