28 February 2018

28 Fevereiro 1988

Nilvinha gave me the best compliment I've had in a long time when she said I speak better than Chase!  He was an exchange student to Bauru the year before me.  From the things I heard about him he was really outgoing, learned the language well, and was well-liked so to hear that I already spoke better than him was quite exciting.  Nilvinha said especially our accents - his was really strong but mine was hardly noticeable.

Nilvinha me deu o melhor elogio que tive há muito tempo quando disse que eu falo melhor do que Chase! Ele era um estudante de intercâmbio para Bauru no ano anterior a mim. Das coisas que eu ouvi sobre ele, ele era realmente extrovertido, aprendeu bem o idioma e gostava de ouvir que eu já falava melhor do que ele era bastante emocionante. Nilvinha disse especialmente nossos acentos - o dele era muito forte, mas o meu era quase imperceptível.

Even after 30 years, this has always been a mark of pride for me - that I learned the language so well that when I traveled around Brazil I had a hard time convincing people I wasn't Brazilian.  I adopted the accent of Sao Paulo state which is about equivalent to a Texas accent.  So, when I went to other states people just assumed I was a Paulista.

Mesmo depois de 30 anos, este tem sido sempre uma marca de orgulho para mim - que eu aprendi a língua tão bem que quando eu viajei pelo Brasil eu tive um tempo difícil convencer as pessoas que eu não era brasileira. Eu adotei o sotaque do estado de São Paulo, que é equivalente a um sotaque do Texas. Então, quando eu fui a outros estados, as pessoas simplesmente assumiram que eu era Paulista.

I missed my friends so much and I'd just seen them four days ago.  I kept thinking about how they were really just across town and in a few months they'd be across the world.

Eu senti a falta de meus amigos tanto e eu apenas os vi há quatro dias. Eu continuei pensando em como eles estavam realmente bem no meio da cidade e em alguns meses eles estariam atraves do mundo.

No comments:

Post a Comment