06 February 2018

6 Fevereiro 1988

I tried smoking.  A couple of the girls taught me and, like I thought, I did cough but not as much as expected.  It left a horrible taste in my throat and after that I didn't even like the smell of smoke.  For the next 30 years (and most likely the rest of my life) I never tried smoking again.  When I recall that one and only sampling I recall the sensation that my lungs were turning instantly black.

Eu tentei fumar. Algumas meninas me ensinaram e, como pensei, fiz tosse, mas não tanto quanto o esperado. Deixou um gosto horrível na garganta e depois disso eu nem gostei do cheiro de fumaça. Nos próximos 30 anos (e provavelmente o resto da minha vida), nunca mais tentei fumar. Quando lembro da única amostragem, lembro a sensação de que meus pulmões estavam virando de forma instantaneamente preta.

Another thing I remember but did not record from this night was, late in the night or possibly in the early hours of morning, Walmir and I were in the kitchen and he opened the almost empty refrigerator and looked inside then asked how to say "ketchupe" in English.  At that hour of the day/night that was a most hilarious question and I've always remembered having a good laugh at that simple question.

Outra coisa que eu lembro, mas não registrei desta noite foi, no final da noite ou, possivelmente, no início da manhã, Walmir e eu estávamos na cozinha e ele abriu a geladeira quase vazia e olhou para dentro e perguntou como dizer "ketchupe " em inglês. Àquela hora do dia / noite que era uma pergunta muito divertida e sempre me lembrei de ter uma boa risada com essa simples pergunta.

No comments:

Post a Comment