14 June 2018

14 Junho 1988

In the morning I went on a beach tour.  It was neat because every beach's name means something.  Like Patience Beach because it's where women used to wait all day for their husbands to come back from fishing.

De manhã eu fui em uma excursão de praia. Foi legal porque o nome de cada praia significa alguma coisa. Como Praia Paciência porque é onde as mulheres costumavam esperar o dia todo para seus maridos para voltar de pescar.

I went on a panoramic tour and saw the lighthouse and the "Church of the Good End".  It seemed that everything in Bahia was either the biggest or the first.

Fiz um passeio panorâmico e vi o Farol da Barra e a Igreja da Boa Fim. Parecia que tudo na Bahia era o maior ou o primeiro.

The church is a memory that has held for 30 years.  Especially the room where people bring a photo or article of a loved one who is ill.  They place it there and pray for God to cure them.

A igreja é uma memória que se mantém há 30 anos. Especialmente a sala onde as pessoas trazem uma foto ou artigo de um ente querido que está doente. Eles o colocam lá e oram para que Deus os cure.

Apparently I was a bargain hunter even in my youth and bemoaned the $8 buffet price tag at what I thought was a cheap restaurant.   I bought some Bom Fim bracelets at the church from a street kid 30 for CR$400 and then found them cheaper at a market (Mercado Modelo) 12 for CR$50 but reasoned that at least I helped out the little kid.

Aparentemente eu era um caçador de pechincha até mesmo em minha mocidade e lamentei a etiqueta de preço de bufê de $ 8 no que eu pensei que era um restaurante barato. Eu comprei algumas pulseiras Bom Fim na igreja de um garoto de rua por US $ 400 e depois as achei mais baratas em um mercado (Mercado Modelo) 12 por CR $ 50, mas achei que pelo menos eu ajudei a criança.

I kept mixing with the same people on tours that I had eaten dinner with the first night.
Eu continuei misturando com as mesmas pessoas nas turnês com quem eu tinha comido o jantar na primeira noite.

We went to a place called "Little Pillar" where, many years ago, they would put a pillar in the middle of the square and chain people to it and beat them as a form of punishment.

Fomos a um lugar chamado Pelourinho onde, há muitos anos, colocavam um pilar no meio da praça e prendiam as pessoas e batiam nelas como forma de castigo.

We also saw the "Church of Gold" that looks like everything inside is made of gold but is really bone covered in grape leaves.

Nós também vimos a "Igreja de Ouro" que parece que tudo dentro é feito de ouro mas é realmente osso coberto em folhas de uva.

My mom had told me to charge something for myself up to $100.  I went shopping and bought an outfit that was not my normal style.  A brown jacket and mini skirt, gray button down, and some shoes to go with it.  I still remember the outfit from photos - I wore it at my going away party.

Minha mãe me disse para comprar algo para mim, até US $ 100. Eu fui fazer compras e comprei uma roupa que não era o meu estilo normal. Uma jaqueta marrom e mini saia, camisa cinza de botões e alguns sapatos para acompanhar. Ainda me lembro da roupa de fotos - eu usava a roupa na minha festa de despedida.

No comments:

Post a Comment