15 June 2018

15 Junho 1988

I went on an island tour including Monk's Island where we spent one and a half hours on the beach.  Then Itaparica Island (the biggest island in the biggest bay) for lunch.  There were a lot of tour groups combined on one tour boat.  I felt like my tour guide was not a very good host.  I even complained about him when I got back to the hotel.  30 years later I know I would totally do that today but I'm surprised that I was that bold at 18.

Eu fui em uma excursão de ilha inclusive a Ilha de Monk onde nós gastamos uma hora e meia na praia. Depois a Ilha de Itaparica (a maior ilha da maior baía) para o almoço. Havia muitos grupos de excursão combinados em um barco de excursão. Eu me senti como o meu guia de turismo não foi um anfitrião muito bom. Eu até reclamei dele quando voltei para o hotel. 30 anos depois, sei que faria exatamente o mesmo hoje, mas estou surpresa por ter sido tão ousada aos 18 anos.

In the evening I went to a dinner show in Alta Ondina.  It was me, an Italian brother and sister and a guide named Ana.  The brother lived in Brazil.  He would translate what Ana said into Italian for his sister.  This is another memory that I have held onto for decades, especially when discussing languages.  The translation sounded like for every ten words, nine were the same and one was slightly different - over and over.

À noite fui a um jantar em Alta Ondina. Era eu, um irmão e irmã italianos e um guia chamado Ana. O irmão morava no Brasil. Ele traduziu o que Ana disse em italiano para sua irmã. Essa é outra lembrança que tenho guardado por décadas, especialmente ao discutir idiomas. A tradução soava como para cada dez palavras, nove eram as mesmas e uma era ligeiramente diferente - repetidamente.

No comments:

Post a Comment