27 September 2017

27 Setembro 1987

I appreciated that the Araujo's were a religious family.  We prayed before every meal.  They took me to my first Catholic mass.  Sadly, it didn't go well because I didn't have a clue what was going on and didn't know I shouldn't have gone to Communion and I definitely didn't follow the protocol and I felt so bad about it I was afraid to go back to Mass again.  (30 years later I have converted to Catholicism and go to Mass weekly.)

Apreciei que os Araujo fossem uma família religiosa. Rezamos antes de cada refeição. Eles me levaram para a minha primeira missa católica. Infelizmente, isso não deu certo porque não tinha idéia do que estava acontecendo e não sabia que não deveria ter ido à comunhão e definitivamente não segui o protocolo e senti-me tão mal por isso que eu estava com medo de voltar para a Missa novamente. (30 anos depois converti-me ao catolicismo e vou a missa semanalmente)

Every time we drove by a church or a cemetery, Nilvinha or Cris (whomever was driving), would make the sign of the cross.  30 years ago I thought it was superstition.  Today I understand that it was a small prayer thanking God that they are still alive and that they had been baptized into the Catholic faith.

Cada vez que dirigíamos por uma igreja ou um cemitério, Nilvinha ou Cris (quem dirigia), faria o sinal da cruz. Há 30 anos, pensei que era superstição. Hoje eu entendo que foi uma pequena oração agradecendo a Deus que elas ainda estão vivas e que foram batizados na fé católica.

I thought it was interesting that they frequently said, "Oh my God!"  I felt like it was taking the Lord's name in vain.  30 years later I remember having a conversation with Guta about it.  She explained that for her it was like saying a little prayer, invoking God's help or guidance.  Guta was always a great one for philosophical questions.

Eu pensei que era interessante que eles freqüentemente diziam: "meu Deus!" Senti que estava tomando o nome do Senhor em vão. 30 anos depois eu lembro de ter uma conversa com Guta sobre isso. Ela explicou que para ela era como dizer uma pequena oração, invocando a ajuda ou a orientação de Deus. Guta sempre foi boa para questões filosóficas.

30 years ago Mr. Araujo took me on a tour of Bauru, which included a stop at the local sports club.  We went inside and on the wall was a picture of a soccer team that included Pele.  Mr. Araujo told me that he grew up playing soccer in the streets with Pele.  I took the information in and retained it but wouldn't process it until just recently when I watched a movie about Pele (The Birth of a Legend).  Thanks to the miracle of Facebook Messenger I was able to have a conversation with my mom and find out more about my dad's early years and the connection he had with Pele.

Há 30 anos, o Sr. Araujo levou-me a um passeio de Bauru, que incluiu uma parada no clube desportivo local. Nós fomos para dentro e na parede era uma foto de uma equipe de futebol que incluía Pele. O Sr. Araujo disse-me que ele cresceu jogando futebol nas ruas com Pele. Peguei a informação e retirei, mas não a processei até recentemente quando assisti a um filme sobre Pele (The Birth of a Legend). Graças ao milagre do Facebook Messenger, consegui conversar com minha mãe e descobrir mais sobre os primeiros anos do meu pai e a conexão que ele teve com Pele.

30 years ago on this night, Ze and I were the only ones home.  We barely understood each other but still managed to have a good laugh.  Ze was often quiet around me but when he did speak he spoke so fast I couldn't understand him.  I tried to interact with him by making a gun out of my fingers and shooting him like kids in the U.S. do.  He seemed to have never seen such a thing and explaining it became quite comedic.

Há 30 anos nesta noite, Ze e eu éramos os únicos em casa. Nós mal nos entendemos, mas ainda conseguimos rir bem. Ze estava sempre calado em volta de mim, mas quando ele falou, ele falou tão rápido que não consegui entender. Eu tentei me envolver com ele, tirando uma arma dos meus dedos e atirando contra ele como crianças nos EUA. Ele parecia nunca ter visto tal coisa e explicando tornou-se bastante cômico.


No comments:

Post a Comment