30 September 2017

30 September 1987

My 18th birthday!  Originally I was supposed to live with four different families, the fourth being the Martins.  They had sent a beautiful bouquet of flowers in the afternoon.  The Araujo's gave me a denim skirt that I wore a lot!

Meu 18º aniversário! Originalmente, eu deveria viver com quatro famílias diferentes, sendo o quarto Martins. Eles tinham enviado um lindo buquê de flores pela tarde. O Araujo me deu uma saia denim que eu usava muito!





In the afternoon Nilvinha pretended that the phone rang and it was one of my friends from the U.S.  She spoke in the cutest English and invited them to come over for a party but, as it turned out, they couldn't because they didn't have any shoes to wear.  30 years later reading the account I can vividly see the memory and it makes me smile.

À tarde, Nilvinha fingiu que o telefone tocou e foi um dos meus amigos dos EUA. Ela falou no inglês mais fofo e convidou-os a participar de uma festa, mas, como acabou, não podiam porque não tinham sapatos para vestir. 30 anos depois, lendo a conta, vejo vividamente a memória e me faz sorrir.


I was reading an English copy of Time magazine that a Rotarian used to give me after he was done practicing English with it.  To my amazement, in an article about how tourists in England were causing a lot of damage, I saw a picture of my friend K.J. sitting on the steps of a fountain.  She wasn't even looking at the camera but I recognized her posture.  I kept the magazine until I got home and confirmed it was indeed her.  30 years later I still think it is an astounding coincidence.

Eu estava lendo uma cópia em inglês da revista Time que um rotariano costumava me dar depois que ele terminou de praticar inglês com ela. Para minha surpresa, em um artigo sobre como os turistas na Inglaterra causaram muitos danos, vi uma foto do minha amiga K.J. sentado nos degraus de uma fonte. Ela nem estava olhando para a câmera, mas eu reconheci sua postura. Eu mantive a revista até chegar em casa e confirmei que era ela mesmo. 30 anos depois, eu ainda acho que é uma coincidência surpreendente.

In the evening, the Araujo's made a surprise party for me.  Except, I had picked up on their plans during conversations they had really fast in front of me thinking I didn't understand.  30 years ago I made it difficult for them.  30 years later I still feel bad and a little embarrassed for being difficult. The plan was all the kids were going to go out for ice cream and then when we got back we'd see lights on downstairs and go down and investigate and Surprise!  I don't know why I made it difficult, perhaps because my pride was hurt that they thought they could discuss the party in front of me and I wouldn't understand, but I told them I didn't want to go out for ice cream.  At some point though, I did concede to go downstairs and it was such a lovely party.  Patti and LeLe were there from school.  All the Araujo's including Carlos and Andre.  Mr. Araujo's mom and sister and several Rotarians.

À noite, o Araujo fez uma festa surpresa para mim. Exceto, eu tinha apanhado seus planos durante as conversas que eles tinham muito rápido na minha frente pensando que não entendi. Há 30 anos eu me comportava de maneira difícil. 30 anos depois, ainda me sinto mal e um pouco envergonhada por ser difícil. O plano era que todos os jovens iriam sair para sorvete e então, quando voltássemos, veríamos luzes no andar de baixo e desceríamos e investigaríamos e Surpresa! Não sei por que me comportai de maneira difícil, talvez porque meu orgulho estivesse dolorido que eles pensavam que poderiam discutir a festa na minha frente sem meu entendimento, mas eu disse que não queria sair para o sorvete . Em algum momento, porém, concedei descer as escadas e era uma festa tão adorável. Patti e LeLe estavam lá da escola. Todos os Araujo, incluindo Carlos e André. Mãe do Sr. Araujo e irmã e vários rotarianos.



I still remember the small party food and the wine that was served.  I received several small gifts including a jewelry set and a Beth Carvalho samba record (from Patti I think) - both of which I still have.

Ainda me lembro da pequena comida de festa e do vinho que foi servido. Recebi vários pequenos presentes, incluindo um conjunto de jóias e um disco de samba Beth Carvalho (de Patti, eu acho) - ambos os quais ainda tenho.




No comments:

Post a Comment