08 May 2018

8 Maio 1988



My local Rotary President had called me earlier and asked me to send Dawn home but wouldn't tell me why other than commenting, "This business of going out at night isn't working."  Then at 11:15 p.m. the phone rang and it was Dawn's chairman telling her she had to go back to her Brazilian home because she hadn't asked permission to come visit me.  It seems like someone had gotten the wrong impression about something.  I don't think I ever really found out.  At the time it was hugely upsetting.  Then another Rotarian called me and asked if Dawn's chairman called her.  He also said he'd spoken with my Brazilian Chairman who'd spoken with the American Chairman and I was to move houses immediately on Tuesday.  He gave me a choice between the Quevedos or the family I'd gone to the beach with - I picked Qs.  Dawn and I both cried, then suddenly we laughed.

Meu presidente local do Rotary me telefonou antes e pediu que eu mandasse Dawn para casa, mas não me contou por que, além de comentar: "Esse negócio de sair à noite não está funcionando". Então, às 11h15 da noite, o telefone tocou e era o presidente da Dawn dizendo que ela precisava voltar para sua casa brasileira, porque não pedira permissão para vir me visitar. Parece que alguém teve a impressão errada sobre alguma coisa. Eu não acho que eu realmente descobri. Na época, foi extremamente perturbador. Então outro rotariano me ligou e perguntou se o presidente da Dawn ligou para ela. Ele também disse que havia conversado com meu presidente brasileiro que havia falado com o presidente americano e que eu mudaria de casa imediatamente na terça-feira. Ele me deu uma escolha entre os Quevedos ou a família com quem eu fui à praia - escolhi Qs. Dawn e eu choramos, e de repente rimos.

I wound up calling my mom who spoke to the American Chairman and he hadn't been called at all.  He said they didn't have to make me move families, especially to a place I didn't want to go.

Acabei ligando para minha mãe que falou com o presidente americano e ele não tinha sido chamado. Ele disse que eles não precisavam me fazer mudar de família, especialmente para um lugar que eu não queria ir.

At some point someone got on my Pai's case about how he could've let me go to a nightclub without even one of my sisters and had he known who I was with and where I was.  (I had been in a night club with the other American Rotarians earlier this week.)

Em algum momento alguém confrontou meu pai sobre como ele poderia ter me deixado ir a uma boate sem sequer uma das minhas irmãs e se ele soubesse com quem eu estava e onde eu estava. (Eu estava em uma boate com os outros rotarianos americanos no início desta semana.)

No comments:

Post a Comment