08 May 2018

8 Maio 1988

I'd had a very busy week.  Apparently the Rotarians from New Mexico who were at the recent conference spent the week in Bauru and I did a lot of activities with them.  Sadly, I remember very little of it.  Reportedly, we went to the biggest Japanese church in Brazil and drove by Pele's house.

Eu tive uma semana muito ocupada. Aparentemente, os rotarianos do Novo México que participaram da recente conferência passaram a semana em Bauru e eu fiz muitas atividades com eles. Infelizmente, lembro-me muito pouco disso. Alegadamente, nós fomos para a maior igreja japonesa no Brasil e passamos pela casa de Pelé.

Several years later I would go to Bauru with my older two children and I have some pictures of them with their cousins at what must be that Japanese church but even from the later trip (2000) I don't remember it.

Vários anos depois, eu ia para Bauru com meus dois filhos mais velhos e tenho algumas fotos deles com seus primos no que deve ser aquela igreja japonesa, mas mesmo depois da viagem (2000) não me lembro disso.

And we drove by Pele's house.  WHAT!!!!!  I drove by Pele's house and don't remember it!!!!  I'm really disappointed in myself.  I remember seeing his picture in the Bauru sports club when the Araujo's took me around the town soon after I moved in with them.   Just within the last year I watched a movie called "Pele - The Birth of a Legend".  I really liked it and have watched it several times.  My Pai always said he grew up with Pele.  That movie made me wonder how they grew up together so I had a Facebook conversation with Mae and she told me the whole back story.  They lived a couple of blocks away from each other in a poor neighborhood.  My dad was a little older than Pele but Pele always seemed to remember him and one time invited my dad to be his special guest at an event in Bauru.  I'm really annoyed that I don't remember going by his childhood home.

E nós dirigimos pela casa de Pelé. O QUE!!!!! Eu dirigi pela casa de Pelé e não me lembro !!!! Estou muito desapontada comigo mesmo. Lembro-me de ver sua foto no clube esportivo de Bauru quando o Araújo me levou pela cidade logo depois de eu me mudar para lá. Apenas no último ano, assisti a um filme chamado "Pelé - O Nascimento de uma Lenda". Eu realmente gostei e assisti várias vezes. Meu Pai sempre disse que cresceu com Pelé. Esse filme me fez pensar como eles cresceram juntos, então eu tive uma conversa no Facebook com Mae e ela me contou toda a história. Eles moravam a alguns quarteirões de distância um do outro em um bairro pobre. Meu pai era um pouco mais velho que Pelé, mas Pelé sempre parecia se lembrar dele e uma vez convidou meu pai para ser seu convidado especial em um evento em Bauru. Estou muito irritada por não me lembrar de ir à casa de sua infância.

I did a lot of translating this week and was proud of my language skills that allowed me to serve in this role.  I rose to the challenge of mayoral words when one of the Rotarians was presented with a key to the city but had a very hard time translating the presentation about silk worms - not a standard vocabulary.

Eu fiz muita tradução esta semana e fiquei orgulhoso das minhas habilidades no idioma que me permitiram servir neste papel. Cheguei ao desafio das palavras dos prefeitos quando um dos rotarianos foi presenteado com uma chave para a cidade, mas teve muita dificuldade em traduzir a apresentação sobre bichos da seda - não um vocabulário normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment