09 May 2018

9 Maio 1988

After Dawn left I went to speak to the other Rotarian who had called me and said I had to move houses (today).  I intended to speak about the lack of communication.  He informed me that I'd only be at the Quevedo's for five days and then I'd still move to the beach family.  The five days was just to get me used to the idea.  I felt totally tricked.  It seemed that the Brazilian Rotary club was afraid that the American Rotary club was going to fine them for not following some sort of rules.  I did not like the feeling of having no control over my life.

Depois que Dawn saiu eu fui falar com o outro rotariano que havia me ligado e disse que eu tinha que mudar de casa (hoje). Eu pretendia falar sobre a falta de comunicação. Ele me informou que eu só ficaria cinco dias no Quevedo e depois ainda mudaria para a família da praia. Os cinco dias foram apenas para me acostumar com a ideia. Eu me senti totalmente enganada. Parecia que o Rotary Club brasileiro temia que o Rotary Club norte-americano os punisse por não seguir regras. Eu não gostei da sensação de não ter controle sobre a minha vida.

At the time it was a lot of drama.  Also, it's apparent from reading my notes that some specific people were contradicting themselves in very obvious ways: saying they'd called my U.S. Chairman, saying they were worried about fines from the U.S., saying the U.S. Chairman has no authority over me anymore.  30 years later I am still slow to grasp things like that.  I have to think slowly about a situation and then the light bulb goes on, well after the moment has passed to argue a point and take a stand.

Na época, era muito drama. Além disso, é evidente ao ler minhas anotações que algumas pessoas específicas se contradizem de maneiras muito óbvias: dizendo que ligaram para o presidente dos EUA dizendo que estavam preocupadas com multas dos EUA, dizendo que o presidente dos EUA não tem mais autoridade sobre mim. 30 anos depois, eu ainda sou sempre lento para entender coisas assim. Eu tenho que pensar lentamente sobre uma situação e, em seguida, a lâmpada acende, bem depois do momento passou a discutir um ponto e tomar uma posição.

I also worried that it would prevent me from participating in future Rotary scholar programs...which I never did anyway.

Eu também me preocupava que isso me impediria de participar de futuros programas acadêmicos do Rotary ... o que eu nunca fiz de qualquer maneira.

I moved to the Quevedo's at 9 p.m. tonight.
Eu mudei para o Quevedo às 21 horas da noite. esta noite.

No comments:

Post a Comment