25 December 2017

25 Dezembro 1987

Christmas wasn't as bad as I thought.  I was with a different family so I stayed busy getting to know them.  We spent a lot of time waiting around until about 9 p.m. when one little kid screamed that he wanted presents and suddenly we were opening presents.

O Natal não era tão ruim quanto eu pensava. Eu estava com uma família diferente, então fiquei ocupada conhecendo-os. Passamos muito tempo esperando por volta das 21 horas quando um filhinho gritou que queria presentes e, de repente, abrimos presentes.

There wasn't even any mention of church.  I asked if it was just the family or the majority of Brazilians who didn't go.  I was told they didn't even have a mass the 24th or 25th.  Later they remembered there was a midnight mass but said it was really just a lot of singing.  At the time I believed them but now I know better.

Não houve qualquer menção à igreja. Perguntei se era apenas a família ou a maioria dos brasileiros que não iam. Foi-me dito que nem sequer tinham uma missa 24 ou 25. Mais tarde, eles lembraram que havia uma missa de meia-noite, mas disseram que era realmente um monte de cantar. Na época, eu acreditava neles, mas agora eu sei melhor.

My mother sent me the new Michael Jackson cassette.  I thought it was hilarious that a salesman talked her into it.  I had actually liked his music but was a bit embarrassed to own his tape.  I talked to my mom and sister on the phone.  I watched the Walt Disney Christmas parade and didn't feel sad.  But when the soap opera "Sassaricando" played "I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas" I had to leave the room to keep from crying.  I think it being summer also helped it not feel like Christmas.

Minha mãe me enviou a nova cassete Michael Jackson. Eu pensei que era divertido que um vendedor convencesse-a a comprá-lo. Na verdade, eu realmente gostava de sua música, mas estava um pouco envergonhada de possuir sua fita. Falei com a minha mãe e a irmã pelo telefone. Eu assisti o desfile de Natal de Walt Disney e não me senti triste. Mas quando a novela "Sassaricando" tocou "Eu estou sonhando com um Natal branco", tive que sair da sala para não chorar. Eu acho que ser verão também ajudou a não se sentir como o Natal.

No comments:

Post a Comment